Sunday, June 3, 2012

100, already?

I can hardly believe this is my  100th blog post! Crazy, right? Well, I wanted to do something special, so I let someone else do all the talking-typing...whatever. So without further ado, Lauren from Books Fashion  and Tea.


Hi everyone! I'm so honored that Stephanie would ask me to post on her lovely blog. Thanks so much, dear!
For this post, I decided to compile a list of my top fifteen favorite period dramas. I tried to include an interesting variety, so maybe you can pick up some ideas for your next movie night!

1. Anne of Green Gables (1985) I consider this the classic original period drama! I first saw it after my grandmother took a trip to Prince Edward Island and brought back the first book and movie. I just love it! I usually watch it at the beginning of the school year as Anne always inspired me to work hard at my studies :-)

2. Little Dorrit (2009) I first saw this wonderful period drama two years ago, and it has remained a favorite. It has a darker tone to it, but a wonderful complex story line as only Dickens can contrive.

3. Little Women (1994) A classic! I grew up with this heartwarming film, and just love it. Plus it has Christian Bale, which is always a bonus;-)

4. Ever After (1998) A wonderful fairy tale film! I love the Renaissance costumes and the incredibly beautiful score.

5. Jane Eyre (2011) I read Jane Eyre for the first time last year, and then saw the movie. Both the book and film are now favorites of mine. I love the somewhat unconventional relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester. This adaption really gets the main points of the book, and the casting is superb. The soundtrack is pretty much my favorite ever. It also has wonderful costumes which I had the privilege to see!

6. North and South (2004) I've recently converted to a North and South fan. I love that it is not only a romance, but a social commentary of the time. It is somewhat darker than a lot of period dramas, and those who love Elizabeth Gaskell from Wives and Daughters and Cranford may be surprised at the style of it, but it is a wonderful film!

7. Emma (2009) I grew up with the other two versions of Emma, but this one quickly replaced them all in my heart. I LOVE this version! It is really the perfect Jane Austen film.

8. Sense and Sensibility (1995) This is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing. My mom loves Jane Austen more than I do, so she started all of us on her work from a young age. This is just a wonderful example of film making. Emma Thompson's performance was Oscar worthy.

9. Wives and Daughters (1999) Wives and Daughters is the perfect movie to drink tea and sew or knit to. It is a quiet and peaceful movie, but certainly not boring! It's my favorite for when I just want to calm down and relax.

10. Miss Potter (2006) An imaginative, beautiful, biography of Beatrix Potter. Renee Zellweger's performance is brilliant.

11. Persuasion (2007) Now, I know not everyone likes this version, but personally, I love it! I love the modern cinematography, and I think it captures emotions better than the earlier version, (which I also love.) That scene where Anne is writing in her journal and crying is beautifully done!

12. Bright Star (2009) The story of John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Certainly a tear jerker, but one gorgeous film! I love Fanny's spunk and originality. John Keats' poetry is my favorite, which is what drew me to this film. It did not disappoint!

13. Cranford, and Return to Cranford (2007-2008) Funny, sweet, lighthearted pictures of an English county village.

14. The Young Victoria (2009) The story of Queen Victoria's relationship with Prince Albert. A lavishly done film with a stellar cast!

15. The Prestige (2006) This one is very different from all the other films on this list, but it's one of my favorite movies ever so I wanted to include it. The Prestige tells the story of two stage magicians in the early 1900's as they struggle to outdo each other. What starts out small quickly becomes an obsession. A brilliant movie!

I know there are many other films that I love, but these are my top favorites for right now :-)



Hi, it's me again...with a wierd question and some cool news, first, have you ever said ''shelfish'' when you mean ''selfish''...I do it all the time.
 And secondly, and more interesting, we are thinking of doing a giveaway from Lauren's shop, becuase she is kind enough to be willing to sponsor lil' ole me's post for a giveaway...that was redundent.
 Anyway, sound good? More details to come soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I review comments to keep from being spammed.
I only have one request of my readers, please keep the language clean and family-friendly! God bless.