Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Film Reveiw: Emma (1996)

Disclaimer: Technically this is not a film review, because if it was, you'd be reading about Gwyneth Paltrow. As I am reviewing Kate Beckinsale's  Emma, I suppose I should call this a TV Drama review. (That is how Wikipedia distinguishes the two of them)




So, I remember very much disliking this adaptation of Jane Austen's  Emma.  However, because of all the hype about this version that I've heard (Apparently a lot of you really like this version) I decided I'd better give it another shot, and I'm very glad I did.

I really, REALLY, really like this Jane Fairfax. Let me just get that out of the way and say it now. I believe it needs to be said. This girl was a bit of an inaccurate Jane. But I loved her!! (More on this later when I write a post comparing all three films)


Anyway, I recommend this film to those who want to get into watching period films/ Jane Austen for the first time. It was easy to follow and still fairly accurate. It was also clean, with little to no language (I think the men swear occasionally, as men did in the Regency era, but there is no explicit language)

The costumes? Well, they were pretty, but Emma herself felt modern to me. It might have been her hats, which I just didn't like. But that's just me... Other then Emma, I didn't see anything wrong with the other costumes. However, don't assume I am an expert on historical costume, because you would be sadly mistaken.

The scenery was good, I don't know what to say about it except that it felt right and I hardly noticed it, which is exactly what I always thought it would be like when I read  Emma. I get the feeling that Miss Austen wouldn't have wanted anything to outshine or overpower her heroine, because Emma herself thinks she is the center of everything.

And this is where I am going to wrap up this post because, as I said, I want to do another post on all three of the Emma films I've watched.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I review comments to keep from being spammed.
I only have one request of my readers, please keep the language clean and family-friendly! God bless.