Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jane Austen Birthday Tag Questions

These Questions were asked by Miss Dashwood at Yet Another Period Drama Blog 

1 - What was the first JA novel you ever read, and who introduced you to it?  Well, I believe the first of Jane Austen's works that I read was Sense & Sensibility. I remember that the first one I was acquainted with was Pride & Prejudice. But it was the 1995 film with my older sisters, not a book. I soon afterward learned about the book and found S & S at the library while looking for anything by JA.


2 -  What is your least favorite JA novel and why?
 Well, I am currently in a love-hate relationship with Northanger Abbey. I have a hard time liking Catherine. Though I love Henry Tilney's wonderful wit.


3 - Who do you think is the funniest character JA ever created?
 Intentionally funny, Henry Tilney, unintentionally Mrs. Bennett (by unintentionally I mean the character doesn't  intend to be funny, we know that every funny character was intended to be funny by JA)


4 - Which JA villain[ess] do you love to hate?
I abhor Mary Crawford. But who I turly love to hate, well, he isn't usually considered a villain. Frank Churchill. I absolutely despise this man! And as he is the closest Emma  comes to a villain, I think he counts.


5 - Whats your favorite JA quote?
 ( I have two, they are not from her novels)
I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them
and 
Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?



6 - If you were to "start" someone on JA, which book would you recommend to them first, and why?  Persuasion, generally because it is shorter then others. But in special occasions I would pick a fairly accurate film adaptation and suggest that.


7 - What is your absolute favorite JA film adaptation and why?  I have only seen the most recent of adaptations of Persuasion, though I wish to see the 1995 film, I do believe I like it best.


8 - If you could authorize a new film adaptation of one of JA's novels, which would it be, and why?  Northanger Abbey, because I felt like the one that I've seen dwelt a little too much on the, ahem, "sensational" novels that she read. But I might also enjoy an accurate adaptation of Mansfield Park.


9 - Which JA character do you most identify with? I suppose Anne Elliot, though not in the "pining after my love when all hope is gone" way. Just how she is not nonsensical, she does what needs to be done. And she defers from Elinor Dashwood in that she isn't very self sacrificing, (ex. Staying home with her nephew to avoid a certain gentlemen, while looking like she is doing it for some one else benefit)


10 - If you could have lunch with JA today, what question would you most like to ask her? Well, I would ask her one of these two. Did she fall in love with an older man? (think Col. Brandon, Mr. Knightley) What is Col. Brandon's first name?


11 - Is there any one thing you think could have been improved upon in one (or all) of JA's books? What is it and why?  Certain proposal scenes should have included dialogue. Like, Mansfield Park, Sense & Sensibility, Northanger Abbey. Because I like dialogue.


12 - If you had lunch with one of JA's characters today, who would it be and why?  Depending on my mood, if I'm feeling sarcastic, Eliza Bennett, quiet then Fanny Price. No! I've got it! Henry Tilney. I would be sure to be amused. And I would never have to worry about offending with my sarcasm.


13 - (optional) whay is Miss Dashwood so fond of asking "why"? Because she enjoys answers with "good strong words that mean something" (Jo, Little Women) not measly yes or no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I review comments to keep from being spammed.
I only have one request of my readers, please keep the language clean and family-friendly! God bless.